• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

10 July 2008

Ok I see you checkin' me out; I think I know what you winkin' about


Camera: Ricoh Caplio R7
Post-Processing: Auto-levels, Auto-contrast, Unsharp-mask


We returned home from our fabulous east coast vacation on a Monday about 3 weeks ago, the Bf having not only survived the 'meet the parents', having actually impressed them. That is always a good thing.

As I said, we returned on a Monday but also took Tuesday as an additional vacation day. A 'vacation from vacation', if you will. We relaxed. Ran a few errands, drove around, and as too-often happens with us, our meandering led us to someplace that sells expensive things. Our most expensive 'vice' - not cameras or computers, but cars. This is not to say that we collect cars. We're not rolling in dough. (But if we were, we probably would. ;)) But we like nice cars. We looooove Bf's Nissan Rogue SL. It's so perfect. Nice leather heated seats, great stereo, smooth/comfy (but still stiff enough) feel, good gas mileage AND cargo space, keyless entry + start, AWD... it's just an awesome ride.

And I have really enjoyed my black Civic EX. I bought it last year. I was looking for a car with leather and heated seats but I only had a meager budget. I wanted white, but it couldn't be 'found' in the cars I looked at. I wanted a manual transmission as a tribute to my vintage VW bug(of high school and college days). But, I compromised. A LOT. I loved many things about my black car. What I did not love was its huge doors but lack of back seat room. Or its color. So hard to keep clean, and so HOT inside in the summer. And metallic blueblack = spiderwebbing (from the factory). And no heated seats or leather. The fabric seats (in my opinion) were chintzy and terrible dust/fuzz/hair collectors. Also, the manual transmission left something to be desired: First off, this car was not my Bug and I couldn't force it to be. No car ever will be; it just wasn't quite as 'fun'. Also, the RPMs at highway speed (75 mph) were up in the 3500 range. I thought that was pretty high. Everything else about the car was great. Very reliable, very quality, very comfortable, stiff ride (I like a stiff ride - that's what SHE said, hahaha). I did kick myself frequently though, since the leather/heated seats (at a very affordable price) were not an option until 2008. If I had only waited...

Anyway, I liked my black car alright and had no intentions of getting rid of it, at least not for a few more years. But here we were at this car dealership, the very one where Bf bought his vehicle back in the winter, and where I got my black car last year. For fun, we test drove an Altima. It was a super-comfy, well-appointed vehicle. Much like Bf's car but without the AWD. It was nice to drive but I wouldn't buy one, for a few reasons. One, it was much bigger than my little black car. I like a small car. Also, I don't care for the tail lights. While we were out joyriding, our salesman, knowing our histories and what we tend to like, looked on the computer and found that they had a car on order I might be interested in.

But wait - I wasn't interested in a new car - was I? We were just having fun. My car was a 2007 model....

Yet... we heard him out. He had a white car coming in. It's like my black one, except it is the somewhat-rare (at least in this part of the country) EX-L model with:
--leather
--heated seats
--automatic
--4 doors
--WHITE

Automatic... I could take or leave. The rest? Whoopie! This was only the 2nd EX-L they'd ever seen at that dealership, too. Cool; I like to be different. Within probably 4 hours of racking my brain, I went from "maybe I'll look at it when it comes in" to "please call me the second it arrives". Then, I tried to put it out of my mind for a week or so, until it comes in. (But I spent too much of this time googling photos, scouring accessories sites, and familiarizing myself with trade-in values.)

My main problem was the money. Not paying it, but losing it. Trading in a car (especially a 1 year old car) is not so terribly smart. But there * were* some things in my favor: they quoted us a very fair trade in deal (after some haggling on our part), plus the APR would be better than my black one had, plus I would only have to pay tax on the difference between the trade value and the new car value. AND since this is a sedan, my insurance went down. (Not a lot, but a little.)

So on July 3rd, at a minimal cost to me given the financially impractical decision I was making, Bf and I took delivery of this sexay lady. She's a 2008 white Japanese-made [which these days apparently equates to 'Canadian built'] EX-L sedan with ivory leather and a tasteful brown interior (I love brown), heated seats and mirrors, a moonroof, fog lights and a spoiler (Ok, I added those last two things just yesterday :)). She was just built in June 2008. Also, this morning on the Interstate I was happy to see that even at 80 mph, the RPMs stay down around 2500. That can equal better gas mileage for me. I am happier with this car, after under 200 miles, than I ever was with the black one. (And I did like the black one a lot.)

I have to take a moment to thank my wonderful Bf, who supported my decision, helped me weigh the pros and cons, and encouraged me to get what I really wanted (as he always does). We now have two hottttttt new cars in our garage. Life can be sweet (and he helps to make it that way). We tight - like our cars. :)

fog lights
Camera: Ricoh Caplio R7
Post-Processing: Levels, Brightness/Contrast, Shadow/Highlight, Unsharp-mask



Camera: Ricoh Caplio R7
Post-Processing: Levels, Brightness/Contrast, Shadow/Highlight, Unsharp-mask



Camera: Ricoh Caplio R7
Post-Processing: Auto-levels, Auto-contrast, Unsharp-mask