• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

29 January 2009

on slow months and blaring alarms

I feel like January has been slow... really slow. Even my mind is slow. I have little to write about because I'm not really thinking about much. I think it's due to the cold. I'm back in classes, but they're nothing to brag about (or complain about, for that matter).

Since I do like to post information I think might be helpful online, I've decided to mention the saga of my car starter. My Civic's in for service, having its astrostart (remote car starter) fixed. I swear, the damn thing has a demon. Here's a short list of its issues.

This'll be the 7th or 8th time I've been in for this astrostart since October. Multiple times in October and November, I went in to have the run time set to 18 minutes (the time wouldn't 'stick': a few days later it'd reset to 2 or 4 minutes).

The run time finally ‘stuck’ at 18 minutes, but the alarm would go off at random while the car was parked. In late November (while the car was in for the roof body work) this was fixed, but the run time was also back to 4 minutes. I got busy with Christmas and finals, but finally brought it back in in January to have the timer set to 18 minutes, and to have the remote set up to work with mine and Bf's astrostarts. Since then:

The car alarm goes -- a lot -- seemingly at random. Periodically every 1-5 hours while at work (parked outside) and while parked in our garage at home. It cannot be turned off until it times out -- not even by driving the car.

Unrelated to the alarm, when the car is near another vehicle, the parking lights flash periodically in fast spurts of about 10-12 flashes in sets of 3 or 4. [flash-flash-flash -pause- flash-flash-flash and so on]. Inside the cabin, there is a clicking noise and the dash lights dim/brighten along with the flashes. It doesn't matter if my car is running or not. It happens several times a day some days, and only once or twice other days. I suspect it happens when the car's near another car with the same type of astrostart (I have been observing lately that when it happens, I am always within 10 feet of a new or nearly new vehicle.) I get some strange looks from other drivers - it's a safety hazard!

So you can see, the thing has demons. I made a list with this and some other more minor issues, and I think they're just going to tear the whole thing out and start over. We'll see what happens. Most boring post evar.