• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

24 February 2009

take off all your preppy clothes

I have to dress in a professional manner for my job. This means no jeans, no t-shirts. Slacks, skirts, nice shoes, nice shirts/sweaters. I don't mind it -- in fact, I kind of like it. It helps me to feel professional, which is necessary since I *am* a professional. I also look nice if I go elsewhere during the day, which often isn't true of me when I am out on the weekend.

But when I get home, I want OUT of those work clothes. If I'm doing something after work, I like to change in to jeans and a hoodie before I do it. One day I was commenting on how good it felt to get out of my work clothes, and Bf called me on it. His work clothes are more comfortable than his jeans, he said. He didn't understand why I was in such a hurry to change.

So I thought about it. Obviously, if I'm staying in, sweatpants and a cotton shirt are more comfortable than any fitted/structured clothing. But what about jeans? Most of my work pants are looser than my jeans. And they all have spandex/lycra stretch in them. My jeans are tight and not as forgiving. And the shirts? I wear a lot of comfy, warm sweaters. My button-up shirts fit well (and most have the stretch-fabric in them too). And I LOVE wearing cute shoes. So why am I always in such a hurry to get out of them? Think about it, what clothes are YOU most comfortable in, and why?

For me, it's not physical comfort, so it must be a mental thing. When I'm in my jeans, I'm comfy. When I'm not, I'm self-conscious. One thing I DO really love is skirts and dresses, but I hardly EVER wear them. If I could wear dresses like this and this and this all the time I totally would. And I know: what's stopping me?

I guess that even as I get older, I still have major body-image/confidence issues. Funny, coming from a girl who really did used to have pink (and black, and bright red, and rainbow-colored, and blue) hair, and used to make a lot of her own hippie clothes. Thing is, I know I look good. That sounds terrible -- egotistical to say -- but what I mean is, I know there isn't anything weird about me that would cause people to think I'm ugly/funny looking. And I don't even know why I *care* if people think I'm weird/funny looking! I think most of the current fashions are funny looking, so there! lol. I'd love to get back in to making my own clothes, and I'd love to have the confidence to wear 50's style dresses (with cute matching shoes, of course) as my 'casual' wear (at least in the summer).

I have a definite waist and definite hips. So why not wear clothes that compliment those features, rather than trying to stuff them in to ultra-low-rise skinny-jeans that were apparently designed for a 12-year-old boy? Because everybody wears jeans I guess. And as unique an individual as I am, I'm scared to let anyone know about it. I don't like stares, even if the attention is positive. (Tangent: I have trouble taking photos out in public because of this: I don't want passersby looking/asking about my camera and what I'm doing.) I'm shy. I don't want people asking questions about my clothing, or why I'm 'so dressed up'. So for now, I guess I'll stick with my jeans, but I'm thinking that maybe someday soon, get a little courage (and a little TIME) and dust off my sewing machine. Or my eBay account :-D.