• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

11 March 2009

it's about time for the formalities

I've been writing this blog for over a year now. And only now, on the "eve" of the (non)wedding-planning frenzy, has it occurred to me to introduce you to "us". Sure, I mention Bf* from time to time, but I haven't really discussed US. Grab a cup of hot chocolate (it's blizzarding** outside, but it's warm and cozy here in my blog) and settle in for our story.

The story begins in late 2006, when I got a new job with Small Department within Big Company. In early 2007, the boss announced that after a long search, we would be hiring someone for an open position. This someone's name sounded very familiar, so I did what I often do when I feel this way: I went home and cracked open my high school year books. I only live 20 miles from the town where I grew up, so when I recognize a name, it's usually with good reason.

I found him and put a (younger, teenage) face to the name. So you see, the story of us has an interesting prequel: Bf and I actually went to the same elementary, junior, and high school. It wasn't a big high school, but we were both pretty anti-social, so we did not know each other then. We were friends with a few of the same people though, and we even were in the choir together for a few years. Weeeeeird. Anyway, despite all of this school history, I really didn't know this person aside from a vague recollection based on the grainy yearbook photo.

He started work at Small Department soon after the boss announced his hire. Shortly after that, he let me know that he had recognized MY name too. We each admitted that we'd been 'investigating' each other from afar. (Who was this high-school stranger?!) We started to have polite conversations from time to time... sometimes in our offices, other times over instant messenger (Big Company has many buildings and uses IM to communicate for work purposes a lot, so it's OK!). Eventually we added each other to our "home" IMs as well, and started chatting in the evenings. We shared a lot: anything from current interests to life goals to past relationships. We started going to lunch together sometimes too, and then started taking what we called "photo trips". (We found that we were both in to photography, so we'd drive around and look for stuff to take photos of.)

By the end of the year, we decided we'd make a good pair. (Seriously, when I said we talked about everything, I meant Ev-reee-thang. We listed our good and bad qualities and what we'd have to offer the other person as a partner... all that good stuff!)

The rest is, well, history! We moved in together shortly after that, met each other's families (no one could believe we were "right under each other's noses" all that time growing up), and are now planning our low key marriage ceremony for this fall!


*I've been told a friend [and recent bride] that I'm not actually allowed to call him Bf any more. A few posts ago, I said I wanted to leave "Bf" as is until we were married if for no other reason than because I didn't want to have to have three blogger tags for him. But I'm told I MUST call him Fi, Fh, or something similar. Thoughts?

**Where we live, blizzarding is a verb. Promise.