• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

16 March 2009

love, sweet love (on camera)

I am interrupting the regularly scheduled "ring-hunt" story to show you some engagement photos! (Not our own. Yes folks, I put photos of other people on this blog, yet not of me. Go fig.) I've known my beautiful sexy stylish friend bitter heaven since 10th grade. On Saturday, Bf and I shot engagement photos for her and her handsome fiance! Check THESE out.





















The photo-taking process was nerve wracking for me. I'm not a pro and I generally don't do people photos, so I was worried that we'd leave them empty-handed after they'd gotten all dressed up and spent an afternoon with us. I hope I was wrong! Bf and I took about 400 photos combined with our two digital SLRs and amazingly, over 60 of them were worth a second look! The editing process was a whole new ballgame. You may have noticed that my friend's skin is a few shades darker than her man's. This made post-processing very difficult! When I tried to do black and white, she looked much darker than she is. Or he looked washed out. It was quite a learning process, but I hope they like the results!

This was a lot of fun. We're looking forward to shooting their wedding next year. I'm not even going to try to tell you what post-processing techniques were used for each individual shot, but here are some tips.

  • For the shot of them looking tall in front of the building: I used a very feathered (~100 px) selection tool to select some of the area behind them. Then I went to Filters > Blur > and put a slight radial (zoom) blur on it. In addition to this, I ALSO hand-selected them (with only a 1 px feather), inverted the selection, and partially desaturated the background. Then I went to Image > Adjustments > Photo Filter and put a pretty heavy Sepia filter on the background.

  • The vintage-looking photos (such as the one of them in the revolving door and the one of them playing chess) were treated using "Aly's Vintage" action from Action Central, among other tools.

Kudos to my dear short-sleeve wearing friend, by the way. It was about 33 and windy when we took these shots, and we spent a lot of time outside.

More "Getting Hitched" madness tomorrow!