• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

29 March 2009

useless but awesome wedding purchase #58329...

Some people have been wondering where I got my ring's box. I'm a modern girl, but sometimes I just love vintage accessories. (Take my ring, for example... or the whole 'getting -married -in -the -courthouse' idea.) A while back, one of the Weddingbee bloggers featured an antique ring box that her [nasty jerkwad ex] fiance had bought to present her with her engagement ring. I decided that I needed one.

Bf is always overwhelmingly supportive of me buying stuff I like (even impractical stuff!), but he was curious as to why I wanted such an item. After all, the ring's was going to stay on my finger from here on out... why would I want a box? I figured that a fabulous ring deserved a fabulous box. That's as far as I'd thought about it, really. My amazing, sparkly, unique ring deserved more lavish accommodations than the white pleather generic jewelry store box in which it came. Also, the photographer in me knew that it'd make a perfect prop for the plethora of ring-shots I planned to take. (Bf was definitely on board with that - he's a photonerd too!) And (if you insist on practicality...) we could at least use the box to store our bands until the big day.

We don't live in a very big city, and there aren't a lot of kitschy jewelry/antique stores. Most just sell furniture and larger nick-knacks. We do have some second-hand and thrift-shops, but I was honestly too lazy to set aside hours for digging through what amounts to mostly random, worthless old junk. Sometimes I get in a mood for "going thrifting", but as a rule I find that it's never worthwhile to go in to a second-hand store expecting to find a specific item. So after only briefly considering my local options, I turned to my friend, the Internet.

Specifically, I went to eBay. I searched for keywords like "vintage ring box" and "antique ring box". I also found the Jewelry Boxes category and tried simply searching for "ring". There were also tons of results for "art deco ring box". I found a large selection of ring boxes in lots of shapes, colors, and conditions.

The boxes ranged anywhere from $5 to $150, with most of them being under $20 with shipping. Some were called "trinket" boxes - really small, plush-lined boxes made to hold any kind of special little item. I fell completely in l o v e with one that had a satiny pink interior... but the $14.00 starting bid ballooned to over $65! Such are the trials and tribulations of eBay.

When I finally found mine (after a few weeks of searching), I got the ring box (in really good shape) for $8 plus reasonable shipping.

Antique ring box

It even came with an added bonus: this crazy pearl and blue gemstone cocktail ring! (It's definitely not valuable, but it's kind of a neat vintage costume jewelry piece.)

Antique ring box

And look how comfy my rings look nestled inside it!

More fun with my antique ring box

An ornate, unique ring box would be a great alternative to a ring-bearer's pillow in a vintage-themed wedding. If we were going that route, I'd definitely want to incorporate my beautiful box into the ceremony. (In fact, I still might.) Or if you're one of those gals who doesn't plan to keep wearing her engagement ring after the wedding, it would be secure and cozy surrounded by some classy padded satin or velvet.

Would you have a use for something like this? Is a ring or jewelry box important to you to hold your most precious bling?