• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

30 April 2009

what the hell kind of wedding IS this?

One big struggle for me in our city hall wedding planning process has been figuring out what to call the damn thing! Is it traditional, or is it off-beat? And is it even a wedding at all? Ack!

The debate about tradition.
Everyone has different backgrounds, cultures, and beliefs, so tradition is different for everyone. What defines a traditional North American caucasian/non-ethnic wedding? Is it a Christian celebration in a church with 4 bridesmaids and 4 groomsmen, followed by a sit-down meal and a dance with a DJ? Or is it a trip to the court house with family and friends in tow? Is it a Vegas elopement, or a Florida beach wedding followed by a chic cocktail hour?

While I'm willing to concede that a semi-casual civil ceremony may not fit many people's definition of "traditional", I am still unsure of where it actually DOES fit! I follow Offbeat Bride, and I would hardly dare to call my wedding "Offbeat". It seems like many of the weddings and couples featured there are much more eccentric and unique than ours is going to be. So, what the heck is my wedding?

...And is it even a wedding?
Tradition (or the breaking-of) aside, is my wedding even a wedding? I often refer to it as a wedding out of simplicity, but is it really? When I talk to others about wedding planning, I know they're picturing dress alterations, invitations and catering, and I feel like it's false representation. Sometimes I think: "We're not having a wedding. We're getting married." But we are not eloping either. Eloping involves running off and getting married without telling anyone. I would not be spending the six months before my elopement blogging about it.

So... what am I supposed to call it? Can you think of one or two words that sum it up? I've used "(Non)Wedding" on this blog from time to time, but that would probably confuse anyone who didn't know the back-story. "Civil Ceremony" comes to mind, but I do want to stress the fact that it IS our wedding; we're not planning another big wedding later on or anything. I'm sick of having to say "City Hall Wedding With Our Parents" or "Carefully-Planned Elopement-Type-Of-Thing". Argh.