• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

02 September 2009

"looking on the bright side" versus jinxing yourself

Do you ever intentionally think negatively or unexcitedly about an event, decision or experience, in hopes of willing it to actually go well?

It seems like I spend my life trying not to get my hopes up about things. I'm not superstitious, but I'm still afraid I'll jinx myself if I believe that everything will turn out for the best.

There's also the idea that if we don't build ourselves up, we won't have as far to fall when things come up short of expectations. It's not the rosiest outlook on life, but it's true.

And then there's the practical standpoint: Planning for and expecting the worst-case scenario helps you become prepared and prevents panic if said scenario comes to light.

But M made a good point in her post this morning. She said: "My attitude makes a big difference in how I perceive my life."

It's so true! If I let myself spend a little time thinking about how everything will work out in the best possible way (regardless of what happens), I feel light and free and confident. Once I go back to planning and scheming and worrying and running my "worst-case-scenario" numbers, I get sore and clenchy and headachy.

Obviously I need to find a balance. What about you? Do you always find the good in life? Or are you a person who constantly finds yourself "knocking on wood" after any self-promoting statement you make?