• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

03 October 2009

feet, shoes and flickr

I used to be really active in Flickr. I'm not really, anymore. I wish I was, but I don't seem to be able to get back in to it. But anyway, that's not really the point of this, it's just background.

The issue is feet and shoes. I have lots of cute pairs of shoes. I like shoes a lot. I also paint my toenails in various ways... it's fun and makes me happy. I read the blogs of several female friends and occasionally, one of them will do a post about cute shoes or nail polish or pedicures. And the post will have pictures of feet and/or shoes.

And I will think "How can they post pictures of shoes and feet on their BLOG? Don't them know about the foot fet*shists?!"

Now obviously, anything you post on the Internet is open for others to look at it and interpret however they please. You can't stop it, unless you choose not to share it. But Flickr seems to be special somehow. A special place for foot fet*shists, that is. It used to be that whenever I'd post a photo that contained feet/shoes/ankles, I'd get the STRANGEST comments or messages from random people. Stuff I'd rather not repeat here, making sexual and/or flat out creepy/stalkerish references to my feet. And on completely unsexy photos - like the time I sprained the hell out of my foot and it was all purple and black. I'm obviously not the only one who experienced this... many of my contacts would go so far as to post lengthy warnings/rants with their foot/shoe pictures, basically telling the "creeps" to get the eff away and stop bothering them.

Me, I just quit putting up photos that contained that part of my body. Shoe and feet pix were no longer seen in my photostream. So posting this blog post was really really difficult for me. I was sure that a whole bunch of people would come out of the blue and start commenting up that post with nasty footy sextalk. But no one did.

Which makes me think that somehow, foot fet*shists are attracted to Flickr. Maybe it's because of the convenient tagging system through which most users describe their photos. I dunno. I have nothing against whatever turns someone on. But seriously, leave me out of the loop. I don't need to know, you get me?

I was thinking about this last night as I painted my toes a sparkly Octoberesque orange and wondering if I'll ever be able to publicly post a picture of the bottom 3" of my body again without flinching at least a little.