• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

26 October 2009

i hate you running people

Well no, that's not true. But seems like every time I read a blog, check facebook, or talk to a friend, they've started running. They're training for a 5k. Or a marathon. Or a triathlon. Or they've set a goal to run X miles a day (or week).

I'm jealous. I really love to run sometimes. It's a great way to clear my head, and it's a pretty good (and fast) workout. I always feel wiped and satisfied after I do it, and I like the way my legs look when I've spent a few months doing it (last time I did this: 2007).

But running kills my knees. I do it one time, and my knees are sore for a week. Most things you read about fitness will tell you that running is hard on the knees. And my knees weren't good to begin with. I've always had what you might call 'knock-knees'. They point in and look weird. And for the past few years, they also make crackling noises when I walk up or down stairs. I'm too afraid to go to the doctor about it, so I just complain about it on to anyone who's unfortunate enough to have to follow my slow ass up or down a flight of stairs (and now: I'm complaining on the Internet too!).

So basically I've stopped doing any exercises that hurt my knees. That includes running, jogging, stair-climbing, squats, lunges, leg press, and pretty much any other simple resistance exercise* that might actually make my legs and thighs strong and toned.

And on a wintry day like today, feeling tired, bloated and crabby, I'd have loved nothing more than to jump on the track, crank up some old school Rage Against The Machine and and pound out a handful of miles. Instead, I went to the gym and did a completely unsatisfying stint on an elliptical machine. Didn't break a sweat, and didn't feel any better afterward. Woo Effing Hoo.

*I know I could swim. I was a competitive swimmer for 8 years while in school, varsity for 4 of those, a captain my senior year. I know how to swim and I know it's great, low resistance exercise. But the hours we're allowed here are really inconvenient, and my tolerance for frozen hair is even lower now than it was in the 90s. I have strongly considered putting my goggles back on and diving back in (hah, I pun)... but the cons keep outweighing the pros for me.