• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

13 October 2009

on spare time and the importance of making room for it

From time to time I read people's blogs, twitter feeds, Facebook statuses, etc. and I find that they're working on some craft project, or cooking some awesome meals, or taking a pottery class, or finishing a best-selling novel. Or they're taking a vacation in October. Whatever they're doing... it's something that sounds like it's relaxing or fun and otherwise enriching.

I hate it that I don't have time.

This is something PHubby and I talk about a lot. Having time. We both work full time jobs and we're both full time students. Have been for what seems like forever (if 2 and a half decades is close enough to forever, which if you're 26, I think it is...).

Oh sure, you can tell me all you want to about time management and organization. My life is a rat-race. When I get time to spare, it isn't much time. And I usually use it catching up on important stuff like laundry, bills and cleaning (and uh, facebook :-\).

I guess the point is that whenever I do decide I'm gonna read or craft or do something that doesn't directly affect the "greater" good that is my schoolworklife... I feel guilty and irresponsible. 'Cause I have a couple of dozen other things on my to-do list that are more important, more pressing, are due for school, whatever.

I've been spending a few hours each night this week editing photos from my friends' engagement session last weekend. It makes me feel guilty because I should be spending that time working on projects for my classes. But I justify it because these are photos for someone else - she's depending on me giving them to her in a timely manner. And you know what else? It's been really relaxing for me. I've been sleeping better, I think, due to taking this time to do something I enjoy (even if I have to justify it like I do).

I need to get over it. Balance is important, and so is enjoying my school work. If I could do this, I'd be much happier, and that's something I'd like to aspire to.