• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

08 October 2009

raw talent (or something like that)

Generally when we go a-photo-shootin', we shoot in regular, normal, run-of-the-mill JPG mode. It's just easier than RAW. I can open up 50 or 300 unsorted JPGs in Preview all at once and just do a quick sift through them, dumping the crap-of-the-crop along the way.

But sometimes, on extra-special occasions (like when we're shooting photos for friends), we'll shoot the photos in RAW.

The extra time it takes to sort and edit each photo is [often] worth it.

Observe.

Camera RAW:

raw-sotc2jpg

Corrected:

raw-corrected2

The photo above has not been "photoshopped"; just adjusted using simple little slider-bars in the RAW editor.

[If you're unfamiliar with RAW, it's a format (JPG is also a format, and so is TIFF) that some cameras support. If you've got the editing software (I use a CS3 Extension) to deal with it, you can do all sorts of great photo-fixin' that goes way beyond what various Photoshop tricks can do. Like, you can change the photo's exposure, white balance, fill light... you get the idea.]

Another example...

Camera RAW:

raw-sotc

Corrected:

raw-corrected

And (as a bonus), all actioned-up in Photoshop:

actioned

Lately, I've been loving the actions from the Pioneer Woman. The photo above was fancified using a muted version of her Sunshine action combined with a Photoshop filter called Render: Lens Flare.

Anyway, this post wasn't about Photoshopping - it was about RAW: A format that's a pain in the butt to sort out, but delivers results so encouraging that I might just have to start shooting in it more often.

Oh, and (obviously) I'm experimenting with some sort of watermark for my "semi-pro [bono] photos". Generally I'm flattered and/or indifferent if someone wants to grab and use my photos elsewhere. But for stuff like this (photos I took for other people), I feel more comfortable posting them if they're marked somehow. This is *not* the final watermark version; it's just something I threw together for the purpose of banging out this post prior to heading off to bed at the end of what has been a very long day.

One more thing: Yep, this is an engagement session Pink Hubby and I shot last weekend. I can't wait to share more pictures from what was a really cold, wet, but funnnnn afternoon full of smooches and cuddles. And to be fair: he took the hand/ring photo. I simply had the gall to slap my moniker all over it. As the wife, I can do that, right? :)