• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

14 November 2009

for all of my efforts

If you're a reader who also has a blog of your own, listen up. This one's for you.

I can post a blurry picture of the cat and get at least a handful of comments. Or I can post a long and drawn-out explanation or lamentation of something that I've been struggling with for days or weeks or months and get -- wait for it -- no comments at all.

Are comments what drives a blog? No. But would it be nice to know that someone out there gives a shit? Maybe. Often when I write a long and personal post, it's to help me work it out in my head. But it's also sometimes because I feel like people have asked me to share. So when I share and no one even says 'boo,' I think twice about whether sharing was a worthy expenditure of my time and effort.

Have you ever noticed that the posts that it seems took the most time -- the posts that were really hard or taxing to write -- get the least amount of comments?