• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

06 November 2009

redemption is supersweet -- err, savory

Well, the helpful words and 'wtfs' from you all (and my mother) concerning the colossal failure of other recipe I tried really gave me the confidence to try again last night.

The gal who writes the blog where I got the peanut pork recipe has a recipe book published too. She also has a section on her blog devoted to people who have problems exactly like mine: burnt, charred, dried-out food. In that post, she suggested that slow cooker n00bs like myself ought to try something easier to start with, and this recipe was on her suggestions list.

Check out the link above for her actual recipe; I had to alter mine due to lack of appropriate ingredients (yes, I'm that girl who buys ingredients specifically for a recipe and then uses them to make something else... heh.)

Here's what I used.

1 can cream-of-chicken soup
1 can beef consomme
3 big frozen boneless/skinless chicken breasts
3/4 packet of Italian salad dressing mix
2 cloves chopped garlic
[most of] a tub of '1/3 less fat' cream cheese (about 7 oz)

Her recipe called for cream of mushroom soup. Pink Hubby and I share an irrational and passionate hate for mushrooms and only find mushroom soup to be mildly edible, so I opted for cream-of-chicken instead. Her recipe also called for a half-can of chicken broth. Chicken broth that I used to make homemade General Tso Chicken (recipe coming soon) for dinner two nights ago. I did have a can of Beef Consomme, so I threw that in instead. The whole can too, because I was just that paranoid about liquid amounts after what happened last time I tried to make an easy, slow-cooked meal.

Her directions:
Put everything except for the cream cheese into the crockpot. Cook on low for 6 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and begins to shred. Shred the chicken with two large forks, and mix in the block of cream cheese. Switch the crock to high and cook for another 30 minutes, or until the cream cheese is fully melted. Serve over pasta.

Instead of starting it in the morning like last time, I ran home at noon and threw it together. When I got home at 6, it was just finishing up and it smelled GREAT.

11:55 AM

I didn't take a picture of it before I shredded it. Sorry. But here's one of it all shredded up (before adding the cream cheese). I tasted it. It was... Ok. Then I remembered: cream cheese!!

6:00 PM

How about that cream cheese? The block I thought I had, but actually used in the nachos a few weeks back? Yeah that one. Hmm. Luckily I like cream cheese, so I had a mostly-new tub of it sitting in the fridge. The recipe calls for an 8 oz block. I actually put in about 7 oz. My cream cheese was "1/3 less fat". I mostly use it for cooking, so I don't buy the fat-free because fat-free stuff doesn't blend in to sauces and other cheeses very well at all.

Here it is simmering away with the cream cheese addition.

Cooking

Here's Rusty wondering what in the hell his female caretaker is doing stomping around on the kitchen counter taking photos. (He's starting to learn: he's part of our weird clan now.)

"WTF are you doin thar?"

Here's the dish after cooking with the cream cheese in it for a while. I tasted it with the cream cheese: it was E-to-the-xcellent. Awesome. Well.. almost awesome. I added a generous shake of paprika and one of chili powder, and then a few grinds of black pepper. THEN it was awesome.

Now here's the deal: Pink Hubby and I don't share a common taste in some foods. Aside from certain staples (e.g. Pepperoni Pizza, blue-box Mac & Cheese), I have a little trouble finding recipes we'll both enjoy. Pink Hubby, for example, doesn't usually like pasta particularly well, and isn't a huge fan of rice (aside from fried rice) either. So I served this with mashed potatoes instead of pasta (as suggested). It was pretty damn good that way.

Served

A++++ would eat again.