• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

18 November 2009

shit i gotta do, shit I wanna do

Oh man. Such a busy month ahead.

On the "school" list: I have a 20 page paper, a project, a 15-page paper with accompanying presentation, a 6 page paper with accompanying presentation, and another 6 page paper. Most of that is due in the next 2 weeks, and is in addition to the normal reading assignments and class activities.

On the "other obligations" list, we have wedding Thank You notes. I started these last night. It'll probably take me 3-4 more hours to finish them all. Thank God for mothers-in-law who write out people's whole names and what they gave you as you open the gifts. Additionally, gifts for the parents and grandparents. (I want to give them all shutterfly photo-books of our best photos. Currently I'm editing the photos, then I'll lay it out.) It's been over 2 months. I should have this stuff finished already. Hmph. Aside from our own wedding, I also have my longest-known, best friend's wedding. It's the weekend before Christmas and we're the photographers. I'm also throwing her a shower 2 weeks prior (the weekend before our Finals week). At least it isn't being held at my house! Additionally, my friend had a baby a few weeks ago and would like us to take some baby portraits and pics of her family. That's probably going to be the weekend after this one. I'll feel pressure to edit those ASAP too, because I assume my friend will want them before Christmas.

What else? Oh yeah, holidays! Thanksgiving is the next holiday, a week from tomorrow (really?! already?). I need to make a baked good for that. (Well, I don't need to, but I've been wanting to. I really like baking and I found a new thing to try.) We need to get a Christmas tree too, but when? Thanksgiving weekend we have the baby portraits. Then the following weekend is my other friend's shower. And with all the homework we have (Pink Hubby has as much as I do, if not more, and the stress of studying for final exams), it's not like we have "most of a weekend" free after a Saturday obligation. It'd be nice to hang some lights on our house too. Be a little festive. There are even clips for them up there already (thanks, previous owner!).

I've now got a list of "when-pigs-fly" stuff I have planned to do before Christmas. Like scrapbooking our wedding cards (this'll be awesome, seriously -- when I get around to it). And printing out the whole year's backlog of pictures for my normal photo albums (am I the only person who does paper albums anymore? I love them. But mine are a bit neglected at the moment). And embroidering our stockings with our names -- last year, I ran out of time to do it, and this year by God I was gonna get it done. Oh and Christmas Cards! What about those? We did them last year and would like to do them this year. This year's cards are going be pretty "quick and dirty," I guess - if they get done at all.

So yes, this is the time of year when Netflix makes money off of us. The movies sit on the TV stand for weeks before we watch them, sometimes. Oh well.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of stuff in there. Stuff like Christmas shopping, and wrapping. And eating, sleeping, and did I mention working? Somewhere in there I also have to get a new passport, because we're going on a trip in March (more on that in a few months). Oh, and Pink Hubby and I invested in some new toys we'll *need* to play with now, too. I'll tell you about those really soon.

I was telling my friend and fellow doctoral cohort member that I don't know what I'll do when I'm done with school. I'll have all these crafts and hobbies and baking ideas, and I'll actually be able to accomplish them because I'll actually have free time on my nights and weekends! Being able to do stuff I want to do, in a timely manner? The concept seems to outrageous and wild to me right now.