• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

13 December 2009

coming soon to a blog that generally isn't all that cute: so much cuteness you might explode

I said I wasn't ready for a family. I didn't say I have a problem with using other people's as photo props. :-)

what did you do this weekend?

Pink Hubby took this photo of me for you photo geeks out there. We've got two off camera flashes - I mentioned them a few weeks ago. This is our first official use; next week we're doing a wedding (eeep!!)

Anyway, in the left side of the photo you see two tripods. The one in the foreground - the black one - has an off camera flash (a.k.a "strobe," in camera nerd speak) on it, and it's firing through the big white umbrella you can see here, at the subjects (in this case, the big bear and baby A). The silver tripod in the back-left in the photo has a second off camera strobe on it. It's pointed at the ceiling. Then each of the flashes is mounted on what are called receivers. Our cameras then each have triggers attached to their 'hot shoe' (which is where you'd attach the flash to the camera if you were going to shoot with it on the camera). When either of us snaps a pic, the trigger tells the flashes to fire. Bam. Instant awesome pictures, even in dark settings. Pink Hubby knows way more about this than I do, but we're both learning!

Thanks so much to my friend C for letting us use her family as guinea pigs - this is the first time we've used our new gear to shoot anything other than food or the cat. In exchange, I hope I can provide them with a half-way decent pic for their Christmas cards.


We only made one child cry yesterday (one out of two ain't bad right?)