• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

14 December 2009

dessert fail

This post goes back a ways, but bear with me. I've been kind of busy with finals and photography and Christmas and all that jazz.

On the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, I had a paper and presentation due. That's where these come in. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so domestically-inclined, but I am. I like to bring something yummy to holiday gatherings, and I had decided over a month prior that this year, cake balls were it.

Since cake balls need to be refrigerated for quite a while before you dip them, Pink Hubby and I made those on Tuesday evening. Basically you bake a cake and squish it together with a can of frosting, then make little balls from the gooey mixture.





They were messy, but I think they came out how they were supposed to.



So we wrapped the pan in plastic and put it in the fridge until the next evening. After giving my presentation and turning in my paper, it was time to get my butt home and dip the cake balls in delicious almond bark!

Bakerella says: "Roll balls in chocolate and lay on wax paper until firm. (Use a spoon to dip and roll in chocolate and then tap off extra.)"

Ummm. Something wasn't right.



We melted the bark as directed, and tried every method we could think of to dip those suckers (including sticking a toothpick in them for the dipping.



Let's compare: look at these.

Yeah. Hmmm. Not looking quite the same.



We were both too embarrassed to show up with these for thanksgiving. So we quietly ate them in shame. They tasted as good as defeat can taste, I guess. Maybe I should stick to cookies.