• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

03 December 2009

i'm a big girl i can handle myself

Growing up, there are a lot of "firsts". First car, first kiss, first time living away from home... big "firsts." But then, there are also little "firsts," which I keep experiencing (though they are fewer and farther between as the years pass).

For example: about 2 years ago, I ran out of aluminum foil. At 24 years old, I had never run out of aluminum foil before. Really. Because back when I started college, my mom had bought me a ton of the stuff. Like 3 of those 275-foot rolls of it. And my ex's mom had done the same for him - she had a Costco membership so her foil contribution was even greater. Six years and five apartments later, I still had a drawer full of unopened boxes of aluminum foil. So when I ran out of foil that fateful evening, I was like, "Whoa. What now?" Obviously, I had to buy more foil. I had arrived as a real grown-up adult-like person.

What made me think of this? Today, I ordered a new pair of glasses. It was time. My 10-year-old Cover Girl-brand frames -- which my mom had bought for me in 10th Grade -- have "seen" it all. State swim meets, skiing, kayaking, car trips, plane trips, 4 a.m. college radio DJ-ing, migraine-coping, late-night video-gaming and everything in between. The style has been discontinued, and the plastic that holds the screws and lenses in place has worn pretty thin. Even though I'd replaced the lenses a handful of times, these were on their last leg too (and not a current prescription, either). Yeah, it was time.

I looked up my insurance's coverage, and I scouted out tons of frames. I selected a pair that's kind of similar (but still different from the frames I currently have), I filled out my information, and I bought them. Once again, the overwhelming feeling of adulthood washed over me, just like with the foil.

Except foil costs like $4. Glasses... don't.

What makes you feel all grown up? (Regardless of your age.)