• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

29 January 2010

i can't decide if this is frivilous or frugal. i think it's both.

In December, I posted my crazy-expensive stuff wish list. I also said one of the purchases on it would come to fruition soon.

Well, here it is... how I spent my last $100 (and a whole lot more than that).
My car is a 2008 Honda Civic EX-L, which I bought new in July of that year. This morning, I paid it off in one big lump sum. What a rush! Woohoo! Celebrate!



I'm now car-payment free, and it'll hopefully be several years before the car needs any major work (knock-on-wood, but it is a Honda). Aside from insurance and barring any accidents or acts of God, my car should cost us very little over the years to come.

I made the decision to do this several months ago, when we had all that financial and job-security uncertainty. I really hated being in a situation where we could be forced to *need* both of our jobs to pay our bills. If it wasn't for having two car payments, I lamented, we wouldn't be in this situation. I decided that if we made it through with both of our jobs intact, I was going to try to ensure that we would not be in that situation again. Sure, it'd suck to lose that income, but it wouldn't be a choose-which-bills-to-pay situation. So Pink Hubby and I saved and saved and saved and rearranged our priorities. This morning, all of that planning paid off. Because my car is paid off.

Now how about that extra money? We have plenty of uses for that. For example: have I mentioned that we're both students? (Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've beat that fact in to the ground.) School's spendy. We also still want to take a honeymoon this summer! So instead of canceling my monthly automatic withdrawal (for the car payment), I just redirected it to a joint savings account. Yay for financial freedom! I've never been so happy to have just spent a huge pile of money!

Happy Friday!

P.S. I'm working on the site layout. That's why some of it is sort of wonky right now.