• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

28 February 2010

our wedding chapter is done

On this, our "engage-iversary", I unsubscribed from all of the wedding planning blogs in my Google Reader. (Exceptions: the personal blogs of friends who are planning weddings, and the one site in particular that I am associated with.) For months, I've been half-assedly skimming the posts or just checking "Mark All as Read" anyway. It's been about 6 months since our wedding day (I know, wow!) and I thought it was about time to cut the ties.

Many of the women I know (who have planned fabulous weddings) have gone on to start really cool wedding-related businesses. They relished in that planning process, and they (and many others) were amazed by the beautiful things they created for their day. I think I am the opposite. A few people (in real life) did ask me whether I would design paper products for their weddings. I said no. Over it.

Some have asked whether Pink Hubby and I are planning to start wedding photography business. Nope. Over that too. (Well, not OVER it. We were never IN to it.) We love taking pics, and we especially love doing this for our friends. But we're not interested in making a job out of it - at least not at this point in our lives. I think it would bog me down (as I do the majority of the editing), and I flat out just don't have time for it. I also really enjoy photography. A business would suck the fun out of it. Also: I am slightly cynical about wedding drama and would not do well dealing with the stress of strangers' wedding days.

Maybe my post-marriage lack of interest in weddings is partially due to the fact that I really expected our wedding to be glam. I thought The Internet would love it. I thought it'd get picked up by some of the wedding blogs (like SMP, or RnRBride, or Intimate Weddings). It didn't (though I submitted to several), but I know why. I didn't have a ton of details, and that is what brides-to-be want to see. It wasn't color-matchy, it had no theme, and it wasn't retro or organic or anything like that. It wasn't bride-blog worthy. (For references, here is one of my favorite weddings ever - DEFINITELY bride-blog worthy.) Am I bitter about this? Not at all. I know my flowers were a rainbow of mismatched glory. I know my paper products didn't really match each other or ANY sort of theme with the rest of our wedding. And I know our picnic was a homegrown, wonderful time (but there were no hours sweating over DIY centerpieces, or letter-pressed photo-upload cards, or self-baked favors). I am not disappointed with our wedding. It was a very nice day/series of days.



What I'm saying here is that even though my wedding was met with appreciation by plenty of budget-minded brides and those looking to K.I.S.S., I really didn't receive any encouragement to keep on doing any particular thing related to my wedding. Which is of course, totally fine because it's not as if I have the time for another side project, nor am I looking to change career-tracks. Yes, my wedding hopefully showed some girls out there that you can have a perfectly happy little wedding without spending too much money. It wasn't a Martha-grade wedding, but it was great for us.

Our wedding was a wonderful day. Best day of our lives? I hope not - we have a lot more days left and I hope our best days are still to come! We didn't spend a lot of money, which we're very proud of. We cleaned up nice, our cake was delish, and we got to see a lot of loved ones at our picnic. We didn't put on a show; we stayed pretty true to ourselves. And now we're married, which was of course the desired outcome. We also have some very nice pictures of our wedding day, a few of which we will display in our home and offices. I have a couple of more things to share... the honeymoon, obviously, is one.

But: Wedding? Check. Done. Complete. Signed, sealed, celebrated, documented and acknowledged.

Onward now! To the rest of our lives!