• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

07 February 2010

saturday in the house

Some updates.

Extra bedroom progress

The perfect rug has arrived [in the mail, on Friday].

new rug

This room is starting to come together. I have some ideas, and have ordered a few other things too.

Look what else came in the mail on Friday. Honda, you are owned.

bought & paid for

Now I have to take this document to the DMV and get the lien removed, and then I think I need to show it to our insurance company. After that, in to the fireproof box it goes!

Also: Enchilada Soup

Enchilada soup

Here is the recipe (modified by my dad and me from this one).

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut to bite-size chunks
1 can of beans (I used black; my dad used pinto)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup diced onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 anaheim pepper, diced
1 quart chicken broth
2/3 cup masa harina
2 cups water
1 can (10-12 oz) enchilada sauce (I used 'medium' flavor)
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1. In a large pot over medium heat, add the oil, onion, garlic and pepper. Cook for a minute or so, then add the chicken breasts and cook (stirring frequently) until done.
2. Pour in chicken broth.
3. In a bowl, whisk together masa harina and 2 cups water until well blended. Pour into pot with the enchilada sauce, Cheddar, beans, salt, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer 30 to 40 minutes, until thickened.

It was great. I think I am going to try to adapt this for the crockpot. The question is: do I need to cook the onions/garlic/pepper on the stove still or can I just put them in there raw? Also, I assume I'd want to use dry beans (not canned) if it's going to cook for 8 hours... And, what about the cheese? Should it be added at the end or would it be OK if left all day? Any crockpot aficionados out there who can advise?

Anyway, yeah... it was very very good. Served it with cheese and sour cream on top. Cilantro would have been great too... and tortilla strips or cornbread crumbles... and maybe some olives too!

In other news

Our neighbor seems to have acquired a really large ice-fishing house. It looks like half a single-wide, on a double-axle trailer. He parked it directly in front of our house so that it is all I see when I look out the living room window. That's nice. *rolls eyes*

Is something special going on today?

You watching the Superbowl? I don't think we are. It's late in the day and we are fogies! Also, it's football; interest level: 0. I am going to be warming up some leftover chili I made a few weeks back though. You have to eat something hearty on Superbowl Sunday, right? (By the way, if you want some kick ass chili, try this: Take one of those Bear Creek mixes and put it and its recommended ingredients in your 6 qt. crockpot with a big squirt of hot chilipepper sauce (i.e. Sriracha) and a nice cheap chuck steak. Cook for 8 hours on low. Be amazed at how much better it tastes than if you made it on the stove with ground meat.)

Other than that... Pink Hubby has a cold, and we both are working on homework. It is snowing outside today. It was also snowing yesterday, and will continue to snow tomorrow. Snowing sideways, as is generally the way it happens around here. Winds are about 15-20 mph though... not "blizzard grade". I checked the weather websites and they say it is a Winter Storm, but that's all they say. Our yard looks like this:

yard

Which means I will have to go shovel for the second time in 24 hours. Tomorrow morning I will have to do it again in order to get to work. The weather websites also say that a storm is going to come from the Plains and hit the mid-Atlantic and northeast. They don't mention who lives in the plains, or what it is doing to us *here* because this is kind of normal for us. (So, East-coasters beware: We the forgotten 'plainsmen' are cooking you up a storm, apparently.)

How's your Sunday?