• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

19 March 2010

reads curse words at the college level

So on Formspring, someone was wondering...
Did you read The Baby-Sitters Club as a kid? If so, who was your favorite baby sitter? If not, what were your favorite children or preteen books?

Nope. I didn't. I might be the only girl I know who didn't. I read a little bit of Nancy Drew and Goosebumps when I was 7-8 years old, and some kind of book series about horses. My friend really loved/loves horses and wanted me to read those books. I didn't really care for any of those books all that much. I hated how I could guess the ending before the book was halfway over. (Actually, that's happened to me with the last book of the Twilight series. I have about 150 pages left and no motivation to finish it.) Around age 10 is when I picked up Stephen King. This was not something my mom was necessarily FOR. But at least I was reading, right? Which is much better than watching awful television shows like The Simpsons*. Between age 10 and the present I have read everything Stephen King has ever written, even though I do recognize that he's not that great of an author, especially recently. My mom probably doesn't know that I used to read the parts about sex and/or curse words multiple times. Not because I was trying to be 'bad,' but because I wanted to understand what was going on.

Which brings us to: What is something you did as a child that your parents don’t know about?
I really don't know. I think I spent enough time forming elaborate and believable lies about stuff that that happened, that I have actually convinced myself that it never happened. (That's a half-truth. Really I was a pretty good kid when I lived at home, with the fear of corporal punishment wired into me.) I think I stole a slinky once. I don't remember now if I actually stole it, or just really thought about stealing it. If I did steal it, I know my mom and dad didn't find out because if they had, I'd remember the punishment. Speaking of punishment, I used to get in trouble and get sent to my room if I said "Fart". Fart fart fart. Yeah, I was a BAD KID, wasn't I. What can I say. My mom was a stay-at-home-mom and I was their only-child. Not a lot of room for mischief there.

Fart.

It's when I got older and went to college that I did a lot of shitty things. My folks probably know most of it (they're not dumb), but what they won't know won't hurt them. So I'm going to omit posting about it here. I'm over it and moved on and doing awesome, thank you very much!

And lastly...
If you were to write a book, what would it be about?
You know, I swear I already answered this one, but I can't find it in my archives. So I'll be brief. I have no clue what I'd write a book about, aside from something "academic". A dissertation is a book, right? :)

*Favorite show, ever, still.


P.S. Even though I took down the "February formspring" feature on my sidebar, I'm still accepting questions here. My ongoing plan is to answer them on this blog, whenever I have time, until the inbox is empty. Once it sits empty for a week, I'll disable it. Also, please note: I do skip around when answering questions. I promise I'll get to all of them. If you asked your question a while ago, it's not rejected; I just didn't feel like writing about it today.