• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

29 March 2010

sunday's dinner

On Sunday, I made a stromboli. Stromboli is like a calzone, except (seriously) stromboli is rectangular. Calzone is triangular. That's the extent of the differences, as far as I can tell. Anyway, here's how I made ours.

Oven: 350 degrees
Time to bake: 20 minutes (Note that all ovens are different! If I were you, I'd keep an eye on yours to avoid a burnt (or underdone) Stromboli. Take it out when it's golden brown.)

Ingredients:
-Pizza dough, rolled out on a nonstick surface. (I used Pillsbury dough from a can)
-1.5 cups shredded mozzarella & cheddar cheese
-A bunch of pepperoni slices
-Garlic powder, basil, other seasonings (to taste)
-Pizza sauce (to taste, I only used a tbsp or so)
-A drizzle of olive oil (to paint on the rolled up Stromboli before baking)

I started with a well-greased pizza stone and spread out my dough on it. Then, I painted the middle 2/3 of the dough with pizza sauce. Pink Hubby and I don't like a ton of pizza sauce, and I didn't want so much of it on there that it would drip out of the Stromboli when we ate it.

Anyway, then I layered the cheese, the pepperoni, more cheese, more pepperoni. I think I had three layers of cheese-pepperoni in this pizza. If you use more ingredients than just pepperoni (i.e. sausage, mushrooms, onions, peppers, etc -- my parents made one with artichoke hearts in it!) you should fully cook those ingredients BEFORE putting them in the Stromboli. Anyway, we only used pepperoni. I also sprinkled some basil and onion powder inside before closing it up.

Making a stromboli

Then I brought the extra dough up and pinched it together at the top. (Make sure to pinch together the sides too.) If you make this, it's important to get a good seal because...

Making a stromboli

... you're going to flip it over so the seal is on the bottom. I used two spatulas to turn it over, and thankfully avoided disaster! Then, I painted the new top with olive oil, a little crushed basil, salt, and garlic powder. Hello, little package of deliciousness!

Making a stromboli

I made a few slits in it (as you can see) so that it could 'breathe'. (Apparently this will keep it from exploding, and will help the bottom of the crust cook, too.)

Making a stromboli

And, after cooking for 20 minutes, we had this. (I sprinkled a little more cheese on top, which melted nicely on the hot crust.)

Stromboli is done

Stromboli, ready to eat

Yum. It was good.

A note about grease. Our Stromboli was good, but it was kind of greasy. Kind of REALLY greasy. I asked my dad about it, and he provided these tips. One: with meat, try microwaving it a little, on a pile of paper towels, before putting it on the Stromboli. Don't microwave it so much that it gets crispy, just enough to release some of its grease. Then pat it dry before putting it on the Stromboli. Two: with cheese, part-skim cheese, and/or 'harder' mozzarella might be less grease-producing than whole and softer cheeses. I will try these tips next time.