• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

15 April 2010

apparently, i'm in shape

Someone asked me...

What do you do to stay in shape?

The answer is: nothing much.

Well, that's not entirely true, but this semester it sort of is. I used to try to go to the gym at least three times a week, but this term, I think I've gone once, total. I'm really not in very good shape. One of my knees feels not so great - like maybe I ought to see a doctor - so running and stair-climbing (some activities I have enjoyed in the past) are out for me. I occasionally lift some free weights I own, and I occasionally use the Wii fit. (And I mean occasionally. As in, I used it yesterday, and the last time before that was 70 days ago.)

I am not a person who is naturally thin. What I *am* is tall: that means I can gain or lose 10 pounds and no one really notices. My weight does fluctuate an awful lot, mostly depending on my diet.

Mainly, I count calories. I try to never go over 1700, and rarely over 1300 per day. Seems like not much, but I lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle and have a fairly slow metabolism, so any more than 1500 means weight gain for me. Here's an example of what I might eat on a normal day:

Breakfast:
Coffee, black. (5 calories)

Lunch:
Some kind of frozen leftover (250 calories)

Dinner:
Chicken, potatoes, carrots (700 calories)
Leftover candy from the last holiday (250 calories)

Yeah, I don't eat a lot. And yeah, a large portion of my calories comes from candy/dessert. I love food, y'all. Love it love it love it. Specifically, I love food that is bad for me. Even though I am well aware how bad it is to jerk your body around like this, I am the person who will starve myself for a designated amount of time just so that I can allow myself to eat something delicious later on. (Today, for example, I'm subsisting on coffee and bananas so that I can eat a disgustingly huge portion of my birthday cake [tomorrow]). They say it's better to be consistent, but it just doesn't work for me (because I happen to looove high-calorie, high fat-content foods).

I am trying to work on adding more veggies, fruits, and healthy dairy (i.e. yogurt and milk) into the mix. (And I do take supplements.) I use Fit Day to count calories and monitor my nutrition. That Wife has written about her success with FitDay. Here's a link to one post.

Currently I am really trying to drop my winter flab for a couple of reasons. One is my friend's upcoming wedding. I'm a bridesmaid, and the dress is pretty short (above the knee). Since I'm sure she'd prefer the wedding guests aren't blinded by jiggly white-meat chicken-thighs, I've been trying to do some strength exercises to tone them up a little. And then of course there's Jamaica. Apparently it's hot there, which means I won't be able to hide behind jeans and a bulky hoodie!

Anyway, thanks for flattering me!


P.S. Even though I am no longer answering questions on a regular basis, I am still accepting new ones here. My ongoing plan is to answer them on this blog, whenever I have time, until the inbox is empty. Once it sits empty for a week, I'll disable it.


P.P.S. HEY!! Did you follow Mrs. Cheese on the wedding site, and/or read her personal blog Not Quite Betty Crocker? If so, did you notice (like I did recently) that she totally disappeared? What happened is this: she lost her domain name when it expired. Crud. Anyway, go and get your fix HERE! She's now "Parenthetical Me". Update your links!