• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

20 April 2010

is 'powerball jackpot winner' a career path?

I've been thinking a lot about this one:
If you had never gone down the road of your current studies/career, what other career path would have interested you?

Yeah: Not working. Hah. No seriously. I do *not* consider myself a career woman. I pine for a life without having to work outside the home. But I am also aware that Pink Hubby and I could make it happen. We just don't because, well, we both like money. Sure, I could quit my job. Then what? Do home improvement projects all day? (They cost money.) Spend more time on homework and school? (Also costs money.) Have a baby? (I've heard that they, TOO, cost money.) So basically, we'd be down a salary and I'd be spending more money, because I'd have time to go shopping and complete projects and all that sort of stuff. Doesn't sound too smart at the moment, does it!

Anyway, as far as an actual career path, I don't really know. Something lucrative, I expect. As I just mentioned, I don't work for the fun of it. There is nothing I love more than long weekends, vacations, and even sick days (depending on the sickness!). [No, I don't hate my job. As far as jobs go, it's a good one and I'm good at it (or so I'm told). I just dislike the idea of spending 40+ hours a week working, when there are so many more interesting things to do outside of work.]

I am definitely not one of those people who could live off of next-to-nothing because I get to do a job I love. ("Job I love"... is that an oxymoron?) And I am definitely not one of those women who say: "Oh, I want kids, but I absolutely couldn't STAND being a stay-at-home mom." I'm the opposite. And I am one of those people who just might put in their 2-weeks-notice THE DAY the lottery winnings check was delivered.

Speaking of having babies...
I know you've said kids are a ways off still, but do you ever do the girlie stereotypical thing of planning out what their names would be? Care to give some examples?

Hmm. I don't really have an examples. I wasn't a daydreamer about weddings before I got married, and I guess I'm not a daydreamer about kids before I plan to have them, either. Sure, there have been times I've thought "that'd be a great name!" (In the late 80s, I was bent on naming my future daughter "Ariel," haha.) But I don't have a running list of names, and it's not really something I chat about with friends either. (It's sad: I can't remember the last time I did chat with a girlfriend. Ugh. Busy.) I think it's safe to say that we would like to give our future child or children names that are classic without being too common. Nothing too trendy either (how many 30-year-old Amandas do you know? Or 12-year-old Taylors?). I also have a lot more trouble thinking of boys' names than I do of girls' names.

Would you ever do a bee meet-up in Minneapolis? You could combine it with an Ikea shopping trip! Us MN gals need an actual bee blogger to help us organize a meet-up!

No, probably not. Sorry to be so blunt about it, but I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, you know? For one thing, did you read my post a month or so ago about getting to IKEA? We'd be looking at a 3-day-weekend if we just want to drive down, hit the store (and maybe the mall), and come back. So, it's pretty unlikely that we'll do it at all. I can't remember the last time we have been to Minneapolis (aside from making a connection in the airport). Maybe... November 2007? It'd probably be a slightly more regular thing, if we were not in school, but we are. I'm so busy, it'd take me months to commit to a Grand Forks meetup, let alone one in another city. Sorry for being a stick-in-the-mud, but it's true.

Let me tell you this though: you do not need *me* to get a meet-up organized. I can see that maybe having an *actual bee* at your meetup might make people more inclined to show up, but that might also not be the case. But me of all people? I'm probably the worst bee of all time. First off, my whole attitude about weddings is kind of backward. I keep planning to write about it on this blog (maybe I will soon, if I can put the thoughts together coherently). And then, there is also the fact that if you tell me about your O-O-T bags or your hair trials or the kinds of flowers you will have, I will be like: "whaaaaat?" See: I don't actually know how to plan an enjoyable wedding. During our six-month engagement, we were both in school, we bought a house, and our finances almost fell apart (leading us to make some major lifestyle changes). So, I put the least amount of effort that I comfortably could into the wedding. The paper products took some thought and TLC, but everything else was pretty much just phone calls and credit-card swipes. That's not to say I didn't care about our wedding -- I did -- but all-in-all I did not spend a ton of time on it. I probably spent more time blogging about wedding stuff than actually doing wedding stuff. :) Anyway, yeah, probably no meetup. But I have been toying with the idea of doing the bee TV thing sometime. Would anyone watch?

And lastly, because we're already sort of talking about blogging:
I check for new posts on your blog once a day for new posts. Do you think that's excessive? I just love your insight!

Hah! I'm flattered! I don't think it's obsessive. Hint for you: on weekdays, I usually only publish either early in the AM, or after 5:00, central time. But my advice to you is: get thee an RSS reader! I subscribe to a ton of blogs through Google Reader, and I check it pretty much every time I get on my computer. (That can be once a day, but it's usually several times a day). It tells me when people have new posts, usually within a half-hour of the post being published. It's great!

P.S. Even though I am no longer answering questions on a regular basis, I am still accepting new ones here. My ongoing plan is to answer them on this blog, whenever I have time, until the inbox is empty. Once it sits empty for a week, I'll disable it.