• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

06 April 2010

the san juan islands: life

I have already shown you some of the picturesque "scenes" we saw on our trip last month. As promised, I'm back today with the lively part of our Pacific Northwest vacation.

First, an oyster! Exciting, right? Well, it is alive!

oyster

crab

starfish

While taking the chartered boat tour ride, we saw...

Bald Eagles:

eagles on a marker in the ocean

eagles on a marker in the ocean

Stellar Seals:

stellar seals swimming

stellar seals swimming

Harbor Seals:

harbor seals on a rock

harbor seals on a rock

...and various land animals.

animals on spiden island

animals on spiden island

The island above is named "Spieden". We were told that someone bought it years ago, imported a bunch of non-native species, and tried to turn it into a 'safari island' where people could pay to hunt various exotic breeds. The attraction didn't work out, and the island has changed hands a few times since then. John Wayne even owned it for a while. It's currently for sale... got an extra 30 million lying around?

When we got off the boat, we went to Lime Kiln (where we saw the lighthouse I showed in the last post). A harbor seal was lounging on the shore, and we didn't notice it until my cousin was pretty close.

my cousin with a harbor seal

And of course, I can't forget our scavenger friend.

seagull

I've got one more San Juan islands post for you, and it's going to focus on the details we saw throughout our week in the west.

Photo credits:
I took the picture of my cousin with the seal, and the picture of the seagull. Pink Hubby is responsible for the rest of them. I did any and all edits to them.