• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

25 May 2010

the awkward lives of bloggers

Unless you have a blog, and unless you comment on blogs, you probably can't understand what it means to blog. Are you feeling me here? I mean, if you're a blogger, how often have you mentioned your hobby to someone (a coworker? family member? acquaintance?) only to have them give you The Funniest Look Ever? Blogs are not exactly cool. But they aren't uncool either. They're just odd. To the non-blogging world, saying you have a blog is like saying you like to eat chocolate donuts dipped in mustard.

Blogs often come under fire, too. There's a reason that stay-at-home moms, the self-employed, and employees in creative industries make the best bloggers. They aren't externally censored. People like me can't write about 3/4 of the Really Good Stuff that happens to us because we work. I work in a professional industry, and to publish anything that could be construed as a libel against my employer or colleagues -- even if it was meant in good humor -- could leave me jobless. Pseudonyms and photographs aside, we all know how private the internet really is. (Hint: it isn't. At all.)

Which brings us to this.

blogbuddyappreciation
It's Blog Buddy Appreciation Day.


Not only do I blog here, but I have also blogged on a well-known wedding site. Lots of people read what I write, and apparently you all enjoy it enough to stick around and occasionally comment. Through blogging and commenting, I've gotten to know several fun and wonderful bloggers. We offer each other advice, we support and/or promote eachother's endeavors, and we rally good vibes when they seem few and far between. I may have never met half of my Facebook friends in real life, but I still proudly call them my friends. Friends like Jenna, Marisa, Brooke, Anne, Catherine, His Birdie, Jenny, Kasia, Cathy, sassandpancakes, and dozens more. I say to them, and to the authors of all the blogs I read: thanks for 'getting it'. Thanks for your comments, your support, and your shared appreciation of this peculiar-but-addicting hobby.