• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

19 May 2010

damn those edges. seriously.

I finished off my last post about our sunroom project by showing you the result after sanding a few times with the rented drum sander. Well now, we still had the edges to do. Instead of being smart and renting an edger, we decided to be frugal and do the edges with our handheld orbital sander. It's not a very big room, so it shouldn't be that much work, right?

After 10 minutes of working on this little area with 60-grit sandpaper, it looked like this:

hand sander

Yeah. I was wrong. Pink Hubby had to go to the store and pick up some 36 grit paper to get the job done. Even then, the progress was iffy. I wasn't strong enough to give it the pressure it needed. I had to resort to my secret weapon:

hand sander

My husband. He worked on this literally all afternoon*, while I went over the floor again with the rental sander (using a finer grit), cut up pieces of sandpaper for the sander, attacked particularly tough spots with our Dremel tool, and tried to keep the dust out of his way.

hand sander

Finally, we were finished. Man oh man. Did I mention the dust? So. Much. Dust. Here is a pile of dust.

sweeping dust

Here is a dust bag.

Bag of dust

And here are two more dust bags.

happy

We swept it, and then swept it again. I also swept the windows and trim, walls, and the ceiling fan. Our window fans were covered with dust too, as were the screens on the open windows. After sweeping, I vacuumed and then swept again. So much dust.

But here's what it looked like, once clean.

Sanded and swept

Sanded and swept

Not perfect, but nice. Pretty damn nice. Next up, we'll explore the interesting process that is staining.

*Pink Hubby would have rather been installing his new video card and testing it (read: playing computer games), but instead he spent his first (and only) homework-free Sunday in 4.5 months -- and the weekend after he finished his most recent degree -- helping me sand this floor. This is a man who didn't want to buy a 'fixer-upper' because he definitely did not want to deal with the work involved. A man who dislikes sweating, and who would hire someone to mow our (fairly small) lawn if I'd let him. He must really love me. And I am humbled. Without his help, the floor wouldn't look half as good as it does.