• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

23 May 2010

maybe and no

Lookie, a question!

Are you currently taking any new clients for your photography business? Also, do you ever see yourself in the future being a photographer full-time?

This is a trick question because I/we don't have a photography business. We aren't a small business or L.L.C., and thus we do not charge for our services. We only shoot for family and friends -- if we're available -- in our spare time. It's our gift to them for their engagement/wedding/new baby/etc. We don't pretend to be professionals, either - we're always sure to clarify it. We're only hobbyists.

I do not ever see myself becoming a photographer full-time, mainly because I'm not looking for an unsteady schedule, a big pay cut and an unbelievable amount of work. Pink Hubby and I both have steady and advancing careers in lucrative industries, and we're both edging ever closer to our Ph.Ds. So why not just keep photography as a hobby? I really believe that if Pink Hubby and I were professional photographers, it would suck the joy out of something we currently consider to be fun.

I certainly envy those who have found the courage to put themselves out there, quit their unfulfilling jobs and become successful pro-photographers. To the men and women I know who have done this - it's so excellent to watch your talents pay off as you pursue your dream jobs. I don't think I could put forth the energy required to really market myself and make myself available to potential clients. Photography isn't my dream job. It's just something I enjoy doing sometimes. (I loooove cars, but I'm not a mechanic or a car designer - see what I mean?)

As I mentioned though, we do show up with our cameras in hand when friends and family ask. In fact, we're shooting a wedding this coming weekend. Stay tuned for that.

Thanks for asking!