• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

27 May 2010

stained and stained again (sunroom floor, part 5)

Yes, it's the 5th part of the sunroom/entry way floor project. And I'm not even done yet. Ugh. Honestly, I didn't work on the floor at all this weekend. Friday brought a Bachelorette party, Saturday a bridal shower. Then, Saturday evening was exciting with tornado watches and 'severe thunderstorms' (which amounts to some pretty spectacular lightning shows!). Sunday... well, I just didn't feel like it. I went outside to do yardwork instead -- wearing expired sunscreen -- and burnt the hell out of my shoulders and upper back. But I still haven't shared the staining process with you!

If you're just joining our lovely project, check out these posts to catch yourself up:
--the walls
--the floor: Part 1; Part 2; Part 3; Part 4

For stain, I decided I wanted to mock the golden color of the floors in the rest of the house, so I bought a stain color called "Golden Oak". Never mind that the floor in the sunroom in s different kind of wood than the rest of the house. It would work. It said 'Golden' on it, right? And in the store, their sample swatch was the right color too.

So, I started painting it on.

Staining the floor

It absorbed really well. The raw wood must have been very porous.

The color is 'golden oak'

I painted myself out of the room...

It's so... red!

And when it was done, I had this.

way too red

not very golden-oak looking

K. Hmm. That's not really golden. It's more... strawberry blonde. Not quite what I had pictured. The floor's imperfections* were much more visible too. Goodie.

I gave up for the night. The next day, Pink Hubby and I decided that the best (and easiest) course of action would be to darken the color. I went to Lowes and bought some 'Dark Walnut'. I was a little concerned with how fast the dark stain would absorb, given how the floor had slurped up the Golden Oak. So, I dumped the contents of the smaller Dark Walnut can into the remains of my larger Golden Oak can. The mixture was about 50/50 for each color.

'dark walnut' to the rescue

Turns out, my absorption fears didn't come true. The previous day's stain had sapped any porousness the wood had. Even letting the stain soak a while (before rubbing it in) didn't produce as dark an effect as I had expected.

'dark walnut' to the rescue

Still, this darker second coat of stain worked wonders for the previously pinkish orange floor. Now it's a brown-red color of which we approve; it even closely matches a lot of the wood trim inside our home.

much better

There are still a lot of imperfections* visible, but that's how it's going to be. At least now it looks rustic and almost purposeful -and not necessarily like a bad stain job.

I'm so sick of this floor, but the end is in sight! Next up, I'll poly it. Then some trim-fixing will be required and I can finally put a lid on this time-consuming (but already rewarding) project!

*Sara from Russet Street Reno commented on an earlier post that she and her soon-to-be hubby did not rent a drum sander because of the potential damage it could do to their floor. (Their floors are amazing, BTW.) They were right to be cautious. Given that I am a n00b at this, I did a lot of damage to our floor. Luckily, it is just our front porch -- not a main living space in our home. Would I rent a drum sander again for a future project? Yes. But only because I now know what that kind of power is capable of doing to a wood floor when uneven pressure is applied for even a second. (Gouge!!)