• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

17 May 2010

the sunroom gets brighter (floors, part 3)

This weekend, we made a lot of progress on the floor in the sunroom. When I left off with the project last weekend, I still had about 3 feet of yellow paint left on the floor in there. It looked like this.


done for the day

So the first order of business was for me to finish taking up the paint. When it was done, I had this.

Paint stripped off

It looked better than the yellow (I think... but I don't know if Pink Hubby was in agreement with me!). But now, it was time to sand. I broke out my little hand sander and got to work. I wanted to know what was under all that old red stain.

Trying to get through the stain

...Obviously, this type of sanding didn't go so well. The wood turned a rather sickly pinkish tone, and only after I'd worked on it for several minutes with the sander. And in spite of my efforts with the paint stripper, there was still enough carpet glue on the floor to make sanding problematic.

Limited success with sanding

It was definitely time to break out the big gun: a drum sander (rented). Damn. These things are heeeeeavy. In the photo below, doesn't it look like I'm pulling the sander backward? I'm not. I'm leaning against its force as it slowly drags me toward the wall.

More success with sanding!

I read about how to refinish floors on this website, so I knew that sanding with the grain of the wood was a must. The website recommended 60 grit sandpaper for the sander, but I actually had to use coarser stuff (36) to get the color and many of the stains out of the floor.

Much easier to sand with this tool

My tips for using this type of machine are as follows:

  1. Wear shoes with a grippy sole on them because the sander will otherwise drag you across the room.

  2. You have to apply pressure, even though it makes the machine harder to handle.

  3. Wear a mask or respirator unless you want to cough sawdust and have orangy-yellow boogers for the next month. I'm pretty sure that inhaling airborne stain particles and ancient polyurathane dust is not entirely good for you either.

  4. Remove or cover everything in the room because the dust gets everywhere. Everywhere.

  5. Wear gloves. Pink Hubby told me to (after I started complaining about my hands hurting) but it was too late. Also: if you wear rings normally, don't wear them while doing this. Ow.

Blisters

Have I mentioned the dust yet? Heh. I will cover the dust in the next post (wherein we tackle the edge-work). For now, check out the sanded floor!

Everything but the edges.

Bulk of the floor is now sanded.

Later this week, we'll talk edges.

Other posts about the sunroom project:
--the walls
--the floor: Part 1; Part 2