• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

11 May 2010

what happened to miss independent?

I used to do a lot of stuff that people traditionally associate with the man of the house. Car maintenance is one example. Computer and web-related endeavors are another.

I always used to be the family 'geek'. You know, the one people call when their email 'breaks' or their internet is 'acting up'? I generally can find my way around most computer issues, even if it takes me a while. From real problems to simple template updates that initially screw up my blog's format, I can make it work with enough experimenting, guessing and Google-searching. I'm not dumb: I know my way around a style sheet.

But why should I have to? This is Pink Hubby's industry, both career-wise and academically. What often takes me 3 hours of cursing and keyboard-mashing usually takes him 5 minutes of educated tinkering.

I have realized, of course, that asking Pink Hubby for help all the time is causing me to lose my 'touch'. He even pointed out to me recently that he sometimes elects not to help me when he knows I will figure it out quickly. At first, I was put off by this: why would he make me sit there and get so impatient that I feel forced to find my own solution? But then I realized that he's right. As I get more accustomed to his help, I find myself asking for help more often -- for simpler things -- instead spending a few minutes solving them myself.

Have you gone soft from depending on the help of your partner? What kind of things does he/she do for you?