• Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
  • Sunshine and Unicorns
sunshine & unicorns: a blog about love, learning, and life in the upper midwest

08 June 2010

just as i was thinking about how good he was being with all this floor-refinishing business

Each time I have finished a coat of stain, and later polyurathane on our two-season room floor project, I have to do the last little bit with the door to the house open (because it's the last uncoated spot in the room).

Rusty loves that window on the far side of the room, and he hasn't been able to sit there for weeks due to the wet floors.

he loves this room

On Thursday night, he took his opportunity to sneak up behind me and go running past just as I was finishing up the third and final coat of polyurethane. Three paws in -- as I was dropping my brush frantically to grab him -- he slipped (since it was all wet). He got it all over his feet and one of his hindquarters. What a sticky mess.

Thinking fast (but maybe not thinking clearly*), I took him outside and wiped him down with my hands and paper towels coated in paint thinner. Then, I took him to the kitchen sink and attempted to rinse him off in the sink, but he wasn't having it. So I took him upstairs and shut his wet, stinky butt in the bathroom, then I hustled down stairs, stepped on to the slippery floor myself, wiped up and painted over the marks he made, then wiped up and painted over where I had stepped. (And THEN I had to hop through the house on one foot, wipe my own foot off with the paint thinner in the back yard and hose it off under the outdoor faucet.)

Less than 5 minutes after I left him, I was back to poor Rusty, up in the bathroom howling and stinking like paint thinner. I gave him a bath, but he still stunk. I did not want him to lick it off or rub it on the furniture and rugs, so he got a second and more thorough bath, complete with a bathtub full of warm water and a Paul Mitchell shampoo-lather.

And then he got several Pounce treats.

wet cat [48/365]

And spent the rest of the night licking himself.

after a bath

after a bath

And on Sunday, he got to sit in his window. Hurray!

What are YOU looking at.
Obviously, I was being bothersome.


*Paint thinner is obviously not good for cats, and it's hard to wash off. Not as hard as polyurathane though. My only other option, I guess, would have been to cut or shave the poly- off. And how would I wait for it to dry? Cutting it off wet would have been a sticky, furry mess I don't even want to consider.